Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Clovis
      Participant

Hi!

I want to set one of my xmls to use 7-bit encoding. How do I do it? Change

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
      to
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="7-bit" standalone="yes"?> , or what?

Thanks.
      C.

• #505 Score: 0
      tbare
      Keymaster
      1 pt

While i’m not sure why you’d want to, you can change the encoding to “ASCII” — this will grossly limit the character set you can use, though, and I can’t be certain it will work (or what benefit you’d get from doing it).

• #507 Score: 0
      tbare
      Keymaster
      1 pt

Additionally, if you’re talking about the “Content-Transfer-Encoding” email header, “7bit” is assumed unless it’s specified otherwise.

For more info: https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc1341/5_Content-Transfer-Encoding.html

• #512 Score: 0
      Clovis
      Participant

Additionally, if you’re talking about the “Content-Transfer-Encoding” email header, “7bit” is assumed unless it’s specified otherwise.

Yup, that’s what I meant. I’m stuck with an API which wouldn’t work with Thunderbird until I changed the encoding, and I still can’t figure out how to use it with any of the Android clients I’m used to.

In any case, I really wanted to use it with swithmail (on Windows, obviously).

Thanks a lot.
      C.

• #514 Score: 0
      tbare
      Keymaster
      1 pt

Are you having an issue with something not seeing it as 7bit? I’m curious now, and wondering if i misread that w3 page and it’s actually using something different.

• #516 Score: 0
      Clovis
      Participant

It’s hard to tell in the real world right now, because another part of the whole system is causing problems, but it looks OK. The old Clickatell server, which is the system which is picky about text encoding, says it processed the email with no problems.

The relevant part of the Thunderbird messages (which worked yesterday) is

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

The corresponding part of the swithmail messages is

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks again.
      C.

• #521 Score: 0
      Clovis
      Participant

It turns out that swithmail out of the box works perfectly with the old “Developer Central” API at Clickatell.com, which is extremely finicky.

Thanks!

• #524 Score: 0
      tbare
      Keymaster
      1 pt

Glad to hear it!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.