Home Forums Bug Reports SwithMail Bug Reports POrt 465 w TLS/SSL enabled times out

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      cornfused
      Participant

I have tried with multiple email providers and if I try to use Port 465 w TLS/SSL the connection times out. If I instead try port 587 the test is a success. The provider tells me port 465 works fine with Thunderbird and other email clients. Is there a trick getting SwithMail working on Port 465 for a secure connection?

• #332 Score: 0
      cornfused
      Participant

Its seems that it is an issue with the SSL handshake perhaps. I tried another application a commercial one with a trial and it was able to send email fine via the provider using SSL on port 465. SwithMail connection on port 465 w SSL/TLS enabled in the GUI simply times out.

• #335 Score: 0
      tbare
      Keymaster
      1 pt

Hey, Cornfused.

I’ll have to take a look and see what’s going on in a bit. I’m sure there’s a solution (assuming there’s not something fundamentally blocking it using the built in .NET mailer). As much as I’d love to write my own class to send mail, that’s definitely not in my time budget right now. đŸ™‚

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll keep ya posted.

• #337 Score: 0
      cornfused
      Participant

I just did a test via strictly command line aka no XML configuration file involved and it times out as well.

• #345 Score: 0
      cornfused
      Participant

Some good news on the testing front. It seems that this hosting provider is using SSL/TLS without StartTLS. I discovered this by downloading Cmail from https://www.inveigle.net/cmail/download.shtml after extensive testing on the provider only when I supplied the -secureport parameter did he connection to the mail server succeed. This method is deprecated since StartTLS is not required. Perhaps that is what the issue is with SwithMail. If so no idea if this sort of option could be implemented on SwithMail easily. Thanks

• #348 Score: 0
      tbare
      Keymaster
      1 pt

very interesting — i’ll do some more digging on my side. Thank you for the info!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.